I would have preferred to start our road trip as soon as we landed in Perth, but our flight from Christmas Island was originally scheduled to land after midnight so I booked a hotel near the airport. The revised flight time gave us a chance to visit the Victoria Park neighborhood for dinner and a wander. Being Boxing Day the options were limited, but there were several Asian restaurants open and we settled on a yummy Thai cafe.
Loads of fun stops on the way to Margaret River including Bunbury for mass and brekkie. We walked down the main street with lots of boutiques. Unfortunately many of them were closed because of the holiday weekend.
The next stop was Bussleton. We happened upon a farmers’ market as we looked for parking and managed to snag a bag of fruit just as the stall closed down. The Busselton jetty extends 1.8km into the Indian Ocean and offers great sightseeing and people watching. We could see remnants of the original jetty alongside the current one, with people wharf jumping and SCUBA diving beneath us.
We drove south for another hour to our destination. Margaret River is a well-known wine region in Australia so we spent a day sampling the local products. Stops included Edwards winery, Adinfern winery & sheep farm, Margaret River Dairy Company, Churchview winery, The Beer Farm, The Grove, and Margaret River Chocolate Company.
Dates: 26-28 December 2015
Travel with: Allen
Weather: mostly cloudy with a few spots of sun, 60-70s
Accommodation: Ibis Budget Hotel, Perth; Margaret River Backpackers/YHA
- 1.8km Busselton jetty walk
- mass at St Patrick’s Cathedral, Bunbury
- shopping in Margaret River
- sunset at Surfer’s Point
- Bushtucker wine tour (Edwards winery, Adinfern winery & sheep farm, Margaret River Dairy Company, Churchview winery, The Beer Farm, The Grove, and Margaret River Chocolate Company)
- Leeuwin lighthouse
Food & Drink:
- Little Ying, Victoria Park
- 140 (!), Bunbury
- Urban Coffee House, Bussleton
- Settlers Tavern, Margaret River
- Brew Shack, Margaret River
- Kappadokia Kebabs, Margaret River
Transportation: Europcar car hire